Did you know that your building can earn ENERGY STAR certification just like a refrigerator or light bulb?
ENERGY STAR certified buildings save energy, save money, and help protect the environment by generating fewer greenhouse gas emissions than typical buildings. To be certified as ENERGY STAR, a building must meet strict energy performance standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In addition, Minnesota Energy Resources will provide an incentive to offset the verification costs to obtain the ENERGY STAR building certification.
Achieve a rating of 75 or better as you benchmark your building using Portfolio Manager and you can apply for the ENERGY STAR certification. There is no cost to apply for certification, though the application must be verified by a licensed professional engineer (PE) or registered architect (RA). Minnesota Energy Resources will provide an incentive for 50% of licensed professional verification fees, up to $750, once a building has been certified as ENERGY STAR.
Overview of ENERGY STAR commercial building certification process:
- Benchmark your property in Portfolio Manager and achieve an ENERGY STAR score of 75 or higher.
- Begin the online application in Portfolio Manager.
- Have a licensed professional conduct a site visit, to verifying the information in your application.
- Complete the online application in Portfolio Manager, upload a scanned copy of the signed application, and submit the application electronically to EPA.
- Respond to questions from EPA, if necessary.
- Receive notification of the application's status.
- Apply for rebate from Minnesota Energy Resources for 50% of licensed professional verification fees, up to $750.
Learn more information on the ENERGY STAR building certification process.
To apply for a rebate, download and fill out the ENERGY STAR commercial building certification rebate application.
For additional questions, please call us at 866-872-0052, option 2. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.